225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Italy, Bologna, 1497
M.53 fol. 18r
Initial D decorated with foliate ornament
1) Vignette with flowering plant with scroll inscribed SMA.
2) Medallion enclosing knotted cord with tassles, entwined by scroll inscribed F(IDES) ET A(MOR).
3) Vignette with salamander amid flames with scroll inscribed NVTRIOR.
4) Medallion enclosing bundle of rods with scroll inscribed VN(ITAS) F(ORTIOR).
5) Medallion enclosing sheep or lamb with scroll inscribed [...]D EST PATI(OR)
6) Vignette with four broken rods with scroll inscribed D(IVISO) FRAGILIS.
7) Wreath enclosing escutcheon decorated with heraldry of Giovanni II Bentivoglio of Bologna (quarterly 1 and 4, or an eagle sable, 2 and 3, per bend indented or and gules).
8) Vignette with leopard, holding palm, emerging from flames below scroll inscribed SPES MEA.
Margins decorated with border of gold scroll and floreate ornament.
(3 of 7)