225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street, New York, NY 10016. Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station
Book of Hours
Italy, Bologna, 1497
M.53 fol. 128r
George of Cappadocia: slaying Dragon -- George of Cappadocia, nimbed, wearing armor and spurs, is astride rearing bridled horse. He holds reins with left hand; with right hand he transfixes dragon with lance. Princess of Trebizond, with joined hands, stands at right. Three figures stand in background.
Scene in landscape with rocky outcrops and trees; hills in distance.
1) Vignette with flowering plant with scroll inscribed SMA.
2) Medallion enclosing knotted cord with tassles, entwined by scroll inscribed F(IDES) ET A(MOR).
3) Vignette with salamander amid flames with scroll inscribed NVTRIOR.
4) Medallion enclosing bundle of rods with scroll inscribed VN(ITAS) F(ORTIOR).
5) Medallion enclosing sheep or lamb with scroll inscribed [...]D EST PATI(OR)
6) Vignette with three broken rods with scroll inscribed D(IVISO) FRAGILIS.
7) Vignette with leopard, holding palm, emerging from flames below scroll inscribed SPES MEA.
Margins decorated with border of floreate ornament.
(6 of 7)